We are regularly exposed to toxic heavy metals, from uranium used in war weapons to lead in our food, burning coal and even vaccines. Exposure to these toxins leads to a lot of fatal diseases, such as cancer. How does our detox system flush them out, and what is the role of amino acids in it?
Dr David Minkoff joins us in this episode to explain how heavy metals harm us and how to detoxify our bodies. He also talks about the role heavy metals play in the formation of cancer, the importance of perfect aminos in our body and why not all proteins are created equal.
If you want to know more about the science behind heavy metal detoxing amino acids and protein, then this episode with Dr David Minkoff is for you.
If you want to try Dr Minkoff's amazing Perfect Amino, supplement go to
Get Customised Guidance for Your Genetic Make-Up
For our epigenetics health program all about optimising your fitness, lifestyle, nutrition and mind performance to your particular genes, go to https://www.lisatamati.com/page/epigenetics-and-health-coaching/.
You can also join our free live webinar on epigenetics.
Online Coaching for Runners
Go to www.runninghotcoaching.com for our online run training coaching. You can also join our free live webinar on runners' warm-up to learn how a structured and specific warm-up can make a massive difference in how you run.
Consult with Lisa
If you would like to work with me one-on-one on anything from your mindset, to head injuries, to biohacking your health, to optimal performance or executive coaching, please book a consultation here: https://shop.lisatamati.com/collections/consultations
Order My Books
My latest book Relentless chronicles the inspiring journey about how my mother and I defied the odds after an aneurysm left my mum Isobel with massive brain damage at age 74. The medical professionals told me there was absolutely no hope of any quality of life again, but I used every mindset tool, years of research and incredible tenacity to prove them wrong and bring my mother back to full health within 3 years. Get your copy here: http://relentlessbook.lisatamati.com/
For my other two best-selling books Running Hot and Running to Extremes chronicling my ultrarunning adventures and expeditions all around the world, go to https://shop.lisatamati.com/collections/books.
My Jewellery Collection
For my gorgeous and inspiring sports jewellery collection ‘Fierce’, go to https://shop.lisatamati.com/collections/lisa-tamati-bespoke-jewellery-collection.
Here are three reasons why you should listen to the full episode:
- You will learn about heavy metal detoxing and safe ways to do it.
- Discover how environmental influences and toxins lead to cancer.
- Learn more about the impacts of being deficient in amino acids in protein.
[06:28] How Dr David Minkoff Started
Dr Minkoff did triathlons and was interested in performance and health.
- His wife, a nurse, investigated the mercury in the amalgam fillings in her teeth.
- Mercury is volatile and is liquid at room temperature. It is very toxic and can make you sick when aerosolised.
Dr Minkoff's wife went to a dentist to get her fillings removed. The mercury aerosolised, and she began showing symptoms of mercury toxicity.
- His neighbour practised natural dentistry and referred him to a doctor in Seattle. After undergoing the advised detoxification protocols, his wife got better.
[17:32] How Can We Get Ourselves Detoxified?
- The body keeps an electrical balance.
- If you want to detoxify, the mineral balance in your body has to be good.
- The body will hold on to toxic metals and will not detoxify well if there is magnesium, zinc and selenium depletion.
- The amino acid levels in your blood should also be good because all detox systems are based on amino acids.
- If the liver is not healthy, a chelator or binder might move the heavy metal to another critical organ, such as the brain.
[22:14] What Are Safe Ways to Get Detoxified?
- Chlorella is a good chelator. It helps bind the mercury in food and has nutritional contents such as chlorophyll.
- Activated charcoal is a binder you can use as a substitute for chlorella.
[24:53] How Does Heavy Metal Exposure Lead to Cancer?
- A healthy cell makes energy by taking oxygen and food into the mitochondria. It extracts energy from food and produces energy molecules (ATP) for the survival of the cell.
- When drugs, chemicals or infections get into the mitochondria, it cannot use oxygen to make energy.
- When a cell makes energy anaerobically, it generates only minimal amounts of ATP. In this case, the cell will either die or transform.
- Growth factor genes are turned on to get a lot of sugar into the cell and make lots of ATP.
- Anti-cancer strategies are working on blocking transport or utilisation of sugar in the cell.
[33:01] What Can We Do to Prevent Cancer?
- Cells turn cancerous due to heavy metal and toxin exposure, as well as poor food practices.
- Consuming ‘clean’ or organic food is essential.
- Vitamin D is the best anti-cancer drug.
- Sunlight hitting the body will activate vitamin D.
- Glyphosate, a herbicide, blocks the process of conversion needed to activate vitamin D.
[38:20] What’s Vitamin D Got to Do with Cancer?
- Vitamin D functions for immunity. It is more of a hormone than a vitamin.
- High levels of vitamin D lowers the risk of multiple sclerosis, cancer, osteoporosis and hypertension.
- Vitamin D is not the be-all and end-all of cancer prevention. Low levels of selenium, vitamin A, zinc and amino acid can also cause cancer.
- When you get enough nutrition, you have more resilience against toxic factors.
[41:11] What Is the Importance of Amino Acids in Protein?
- Our bodies are made up of macronutrients: carbohydrates, fats and proteins.
- Amino acids are the basic unit of proteins, and they are made up of nitrogen.
- There are 22 amino acids in the body, eight of which are essential. It means the body cannot produce them, so you need to obtain them from your diet.
- Almost everybody has low levels of amino acids. A lack of amino acids will result in a lack of protein.
- Specific body processes cannot work if there is an amino acid deficiency. Listen to the full episode to learn how it affects body repair, weight loss, immunity and athletic performance!
[1:05:11] Why Are Acid Blockers Harmful?
- Pepsin is an enzyme in the stomach that initiates protein digestion. The stomach needs to be very acidic to activate pepsin.
- If a drug blocks stomach acid production, the pepsin won’t be activated.
- You won't get the benefit from the proteins you are eating and absorb key minerals if you can’t digest protein.
- Stomach acid also kills the bacteria in the food we eat, especially raw food.
- If bacteria in food doesn't get killed in the stomach, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth can occur.
- Listen to the full episode for more information on how you can improve your health amid the heavy metals in our environment!
7 Powerful Quotes from This Episode
‘The search for the perfect protein was really my search for what is the perfect thing that works better than meat and fish and eggs by a factor of at least three to six times that you could take as a supplement’. - Dr David Minkoff
‘Medicine is not the answer. Lifestyle’s the answer. That's nutrition, and it's what you said. It's sleep, and it's relationships, and it's good nutrition, and it's organic food, and it's sunshine, and it's finding what makes you happy and the purpose. Without those things, you drugs aren't going to fix you’. - Dr David Minkoff
‘I think we do need appropriate supplementation, good organic food and good exercise. Good sleep patterns — all those basic things that we often also neglect to have a healthy human’. - Dr David Minkoff
‘You've got a bleeding ulcer? Okay, take the acid blocker. Your stomach heals. But then figure out what happened — was it an infection — or what was wrong and get off of it because long-term, it's bad for you’. - Dr David Minkoff
‘The more we buy the things that aren't good for us, the more we support the industries that are doing things that aren't good for us’. - Dr David Minkoff
‘You're going to pay. You're just choosing to pay later and down the track with worse consequences, or you're paying to be preventative. You're paying for good health’. - Dr David Minkoff
‘You have to be able to orient your life toward nutrition and supplementation and detoxification and healthy living’. - Dr David Minkoff
About Dr David Minkoff
In 1995, Dr David Minkoff’s wife became ill. Not accepting her physicians’ ‘We really can’t help her except for symptomatic medication’ conclusion, Dr Minkoff and his wife went on a search to find the actual underlying cause of her condition. This led him out of his emergency medicine practice and into complementary and alternative medicine to find the answers.
In the process, he gained expertise in fields like anti-aging medicine, integrative cancer care, Lyme disease treatment, hormone replacement therapy, functional medicine, energy medicine, homeopathy and optimum nutrition.
The answers he found were soon in demand when others learned of his wife’s return to good health. In response to this, he and his wife, Sue Minkoff, RN, established LifeWorks Wellness Center in 1997.
It quickly became one of the largest comprehensive complementary and alternative medicine clinics in the US. The demand for the products and protocols he discovered became a catalyst for founding BodyHealth.com, a nutrition company that manufactures and distributes these cutting-edge solutions.
Dr Minkoff is a doctor of complementary and alternative medicine, a board-certified pediatrician and an Infectious Disease fellow. He also is an avid athlete himself and has completed 43 Ironman Triathlons. Dr Minkoff has helped many pro athletes improve their performance. He tries to set an example for others so that they can enjoy a life free of pain and full of energy.
If you want to learn more about Dr Minkoff and his work on proteins, you may visit his website.
Enjoyed This Episode with Dr David Minkoff?
If you did, be sure to subscribe and share it with your friends!
Post a review and share it! If you enjoyed tuning in, then leave us a review. You can also share this with your family and friends so they can include more amino acids in protein in their diet.
Have any questions on perfect aminos?
You can contact me through email (email@example.com) or find me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
For more episode updates, visit my website. You may also tune in on Apple Podcasts.
To pushing the limits,